IAVS Symposium: Special Session on River Vegetation
The RIVEAL project hosted a Special Session entitled "River vegetation, the challenges of management and conservation and their values and ecosystem services" at the 63rd International Association of Vegetation Science (IAVS) Symposium. The symposium took place from the 20th till the 23rd of September 2021 and brought together vegetation scientists from around the world to discuss theoretical and practical studies of vegetation.
The IAVS is a worldwide union of scientists and individuals interested in vegetation science. Its main goals are to facilitate personal contacts among vegetation scientists globally and to promote research in all aspects of vegetation science and its applications.
The Special Session featured five live speakers who presented on various topics related to the theme of the session:
- Francisca Aguiar (Forest Research Centre, School of Agriculture, University of Lisbon, Portugal) - How regulated flows affect the provision of riparian ecosystem services?
- Rui Rivaes (Forest Research Centre, School of Agriculture, University of Lisbon, Portugal) - Prioritizing the causality of environmental stressors on the quality of riparian vegetation and macro invertebrates.
- Alejandro BaladrÃ³n (CERIS â€“ Civil Engineering Research and Innovation for Sustainability, Instituto Superior TÃ©cnico, University of Lisbon, Portugal) - How can functional traits make plants tolerant to hydropeaking?
- AndrÃ© Fonseca (Forest Research Centre, School of Agriculture, University of Lisbon, Portugal) - Riparian forest connectivity for the provision of Ecosystem Services: the suitability of European Copernicus data for monitoring purposes in the Mediterranean and Central Baltic hydroregions.
- Remigiusz Pielech (Department of Forest Biodiversity, Faculty of Forestry, University of Agriculture in Krakow, Poland) - Plant species richness in riparian forests: Comparison to other forest ecosystems, longitudinal patterns, role of rare species and topographic factors.
On Demand Presentations
In addition to the live speakers, the Special Session also included on demand presentations:
- RosÃ¡rio Fernandes (Forest Research Centre, School of Agriculture, University of Lisbon, Portugal) - Effects of hydrological alterations in the riparian carbon stock capacity: understanding the past to predict the future
- AndrÃ© Fonseca (Forest Research Centre, School of Agriculture, University of Lisbon, Portugal) - Riparian vegetation potential to support distinct functional faunistic groups and related Ecosystem Services in human-dominated landscape
- Marina Makarova (Laboratory of Geography and Vegetation mapping, Komarov Botanical Institute RAS, Russia) - Floodplain vegetation mapping of Northern Dvina and Pinega rivers, Archangelsk region, Russia
Watch the Special Session
To watch the recorded Special Session, click on the following link: Special Session Recording
For more information about the IAVS Symposium and the RIVEAL project, please visit their respective websites.
The Special Session on River Vegetation at the IAVS Symposium provided a platform for researchers and experts to share their knowledge and insights on the challenges, management, conservation, and ecosystem services of river vegetation. The presentations and discussions contributed to the advancement of vegetation science and its applications in the context of river ecosystems.
Â© 2019 ISA. All rights reserved.
Theme By DankovThemes